Tuesday, January 17, 2012

New York

I recently (as in January 3rd) went to visit my good friend Josh in New Jersey. When I say New Jersey I'm not talkin Jersey Shore Jersey but I'm-a-half-hour-away-from-New-York-City New Jersey. The distance that has given me the opportunity to host Josh at my house multiple times so that he could meet and get close to my family had also robbed me of the opportunity to meet his family, even though we've been friends for nearly four years now. Besides meeting all of his friends at home, I also had the most amazing trip getting to go to his favorite places in the city, and some new ones. 


This is at the 9/11 memorial. It was a really beautiful, terrible sight. I went to New York City in the spring of 2002 and saw ground zero. Everyone there was very moved both of the times I visited the site.

the new/future 'Freedom Tower'. It'll be 1776 feet tall, making it the tallest building in America upon its completion. It's Tower One of seven that will be completed.

I found this extremely interesting. Every time I've mentioned going past the stock exchange, people have asked if I went inside. We couldn't even get close because there were guards and barricades. 

This was taken outside the Metropolitan Museum of Art. Apparently this is a private school. 

The classiest looking hotdog stand ever. Outside the Met yet again. 

Look how happy I am to be in New York!

A site that needs no introduction: Times Square. Note the happy young man in the hat. No, I don't know who he is. 


Hey! There it is again!

I love musicals, so I had to show you this one. [I've seen Phantom AND Wicked] (!)

I saw this sign on a wall in SoHo among movie posters and graffiti. I'm a fan.

A view of Little Italy and Chinatown way down the road. Note the back of Josh's head in the lower right corner. 

This place has been there for over 100 years. You just can't get those numbers in Chicago (or if you can, I haven't seen them). They also had the best cannoli ever, along with gelato, wine, espresso and other Italian baked goods.

For years [YEARS] Josh has been telling me that we Chicagoains don't know what a bagel is. I thought he was an idiot until I had a real bagel from Jersey. You haven't lived until you have a fresh bagel, still hot from the oven, first thing in the morning. Cream cheese and a side of coffee, too. The ultimate breakfast. 



No comments: